My dear heart,
Sometimes I call you "my princess." It is just one of many sweet nicknames for you, and, in truth, is often just another word for sweetheart, darling, baby girl. I want you to know that when I call you princess, however, I mean something different than what many people in this world mean by princess.
They say a princess, by accident of her birth, belongs to a class more important than other people.
I say you, by miracle of you birth belong to me, which makes you precious, as every little girl deserves to be.
They say a princess always looks and acts prim and perfect. She would never get dirty or play with boys or shout.
I say a princess can have a gentle heart, but a fierce spirit. She is just as feminine in the garden or up a tree as in a tea party. She is not so small-minded as to think that clothes, no matter how fun they are, make you who you are.
They say a princess is stuck up, exalted above others.
I say a princess is one who may someday be called to do great things and lead others. Thus, a princess has a great responsibility to know them, to love them,and to serve them. She knows her talents and blessings are but gifts to be shared.
They say a princess has a pretty face, a delicate laugh, a grace of movement, a great style, and is an example of feminine charm.
I say a princess has a beautiful mind, a delicate sensitivity to the world and people around her, true grace, a great spirit, and is an example of feminine compassion and strength.
They say a princess always gets her own way, throwing over kingdoms at her whim, because she deserves her dreams.
I say a princess is one who must sacrifice much, sometimes even her dreams, to so what is best for others. She is not an island onto herself, but a member of a family, a Church, a country, the human race. She knows the power of real love, that is, self-sacrifice.
When the world says princess they mean the daughter of an earthly king and queen, probably spoiled and definitely priveledged.
When I say princess, I mean the daughter of the King of the universe, the daughter of the Queen of Heaven. I mean someone who knows she is always treasured, but also aware that her home is not here, but in the great courts of heaven, that upside down kingdom where the first are last and the last, first.
Today is: Laetare Sunday
Finn is: the two-and-a-half-year-old knight of my heart
Gigi is: my favorite thirteen-month-old princess
Mama is about to read: The Sword of Honour Trilogy by Evelyn Waugh
No comments:
Post a Comment