For those of you who have seen me recently, you might have noticed a certain stoutness about my middle. I am not, in fact, indulging in all the cider and doughnuts I want (though that would be nice). My husband and I are expecting our second child in February. Surprise!
"But," you might be saying, "didn't your first child just turn one a few months ago? Haven't you only been married for two years?" "Or," as some have asked in a delicate tone, "was it an accident?"
Our society has come to place pregnancies in two categories, planned
and unplanned, and to judge them accordingly. This leads to parents
feeling that their own children are "unplanned," "mistimed," "accidents," and
"unwanted," because things did not go according to their plans.
Unwanted pregnancies can be terminated, mistimed children are a pity:
these are the conclusions our culture draws every day. The truth is
that this life is not about our planning. Parenthood is not about our
timing and our desires. As Christians, we have the assurance that all
timing is God's timing. That His desire is always what is best for us
and for our children.
My husband and I made a conscious decision when we decided to get married (and again after the birth of our first child) that no child of ours would ever be an accident. They would always be wanted, whether they were the first or the fifteenth. You see, the Catholic Church teaches that marriage should always be open to life, to the possibility of children whenever God sees fit to give them. Abstinence through natural family planning is an option in grave circumstances, such as economic hardships or serious health risks, but "choosing" when to have children based on your own convenience is strongly rejected.
So, while it was a surprise to find out that I was pregnant again ten months after giving birth to my first child, it was a surprise greeted with joy and thanksgiving. That doesn't mean I'm not worried about how to take care of two children under two. It doesn't mean I don't occasionally doubt my abilities and fear for my sanity. But, I entered this with prayer and open eyes. I asked for children when God thought the time was right. And God does not make mistakes or accidents. He makes miracles, like this one:
Today is: The Feast of St. Wenceslaus
Finn is: 14 months and 2 weeks old
Mama is reading: The Tiger's Wife by Tea Obreht
Littlest One is: 20 weeks along
Lovely Miss Mama Twomey x 2!!! Can't wait to read more posts get to know more about Finn's little sibling. Hugs and prayers for all :)
ReplyDeleteThanks, dear! I can't wait to find out more about her/him either:)
DeleteAwww, yay! Congratulations to you. And I love what you have to say about having/planning babies. We're on the same page, despite being Protestants. ha ha :) I think it's interesting that so many people strenuously try to avoid pregnancy, while claiming to view children as a gift. In most circumstances, that seems two-faced to me. I can't think of any other gift or blessing that we try to avoid or delay.
ReplyDeleteRight! I think that having the right attitude about children and life starts before they are even born.
DeleteSo exciting!!!!! James asked me last night what I want for my birthday and I told him "another baby". (I think I will let my baby at least turn 3 months though, haha!) But seriously, babies are such a beautiful beautiful gift of God. I could never quite understand what people meant when they would say that the purpose of marriage is equally help and comfort for oneself and ones spouse AND the procreation of children, but I get it now. Many congrats to you and Johnfrancis!
ReplyDeleteIsn't it amazing how much nicer babies are in person then in theory? (And I liked them in theory too.)
Deletep.s. If JPJ III like his nursies enough, you have a little bit of time for that birthday present ;)
BABY!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations!! So so exciting. (and such a great book!)
ReplyDeleteI am really liking it so far. I got the recommendation from K.R. McEneely, the only way I find out about books from the last 20 years now that Dr. Somerville is out of my life.
DeleteCongratulations! What a blessing! My mom got pregnant with my brother 10 months after I was born and I feel like he and I are the perfect age-distance apart. Two grades apart in school but close enough in actual age to get along really well. Great post!
ReplyDeleteThanks! I love being close in age to my brother, too! Even though we bickered, it was nice to always have a (sometimes reluctant) playmate. I hope Finn loves his sibling too!
Delete