Sometimes, when your toddler draws on your furniture and your baby has an ear infection, a mama needs to escape a little into a daydream. I know I'm not the only one who dreams of A Day To Myself. I like to plan what I would do with a whole kid-free, responsibility-free mama holiday. Here are some of my ideas (if you don't have any little ones yet or find yourself with a day off, please enjoy some of these for me):
1)Start my day at a holy mass or at Eucharistic Adoration.
How awesome would it be to start your day peacefully in the presence of Jesus? (Daily mass at 7 just isn't an option with my late risers and it would be anything but peaceful.) I wish all the time I had done this more when I had the chance.
2)Do a little pampering.
Maybe I would just take a long uninterrupted shower, but I would also love a pedicure. Or I could get a real haircut. At a salon, people. Having someone else wash your hair and make it look nice= pure luxury.
3)Spend all afternoon reading a book.
It could even be a book that I had time to pick out (as opposed to hastily snatched while catching a running boy). Pretty much my whole life, my favorite afternoon activity has been a good book, outside if it's nice or snuggled up if it's warm. I don't remember the last time I read for hours when the sun was up. (You always pay later for staying up to read.)
4)Try a new recipe chosen on my whim and eat it with a friend. What if you could just run to the store by yourself for all the ingredients you needed? What if you could take as long as you wanted to try something involved, because you didn't have to keep anyone entertained while you were cooking? What if you could actually talk to your fellow diner and they didn't grab food off your plate and demand your drink?
5) Meet a friend anywhere they want, for as long as they want, for uninterrupted talking and hanging out. Maybe we could go to a store and casually browse instead of desperately search. Maybe we could visit a den of child boredom, interrupted only by spilling hot liquid, otherwise known as a coffee shop. We could go on a walk stroller free or chat after a movie. It wouldn't matter so long as we could catch up without anyone telling us to stop talking or asking to be picked up.
I hope this doesn't come across as whining for all the things I miss. If it does, thanks for letting me get it out of my system. This isn't a list of regrets either. I wouldn't trade my lovies for anything. We all know I'd probably spend three quarters of my day to myself thinking about my babies, worrying about them, and missing them. It's just fun to dream sometimes, and when I do get a break, I can consult my list for ideas.
Speaking of ideas, what would you do?
Today is: the day after St. Joseph's day
Finn is: a cowboy
Gigi is: rummaging through drawers, I should probably do something about that
No comments:
Post a Comment