Sunday, March 23, 2014

Totally Worth It {7QT}

If reading my last post about getting away for a "perfect day" has you thinking life with babies is a fate to be escaped, I want to set the record straight.  Even days like today, when I feel like someone might revoke my parental licence because I've made so many mama fails, I know one thing: my imperfect, tiring, wonderful days with my kids are ultimately better than any time off I could dream up.  Today, after a sleepless night and a long, frustrating day, I need to remember the small moments I wouldn't trade for anything.

Here are 7 moments from my day that reminded me that the sacrifices of "free time" are totally worth it.

1)Making a smoothie together for breakfast made up for a rough wake up. Finn helped add in the fruit and Gigi was the taster. When the blender got loud, Finn told Gigi it would be ok. I love how little things like smoothies can make their day.

2)After I had imagined an afternoon with all of us napping, I found myself outside of Gigi's room in tears because No One was sleeping. (Gigi has not been sleeping well, so neither have I, and we are all getting over a nasty bug.) Finn came out of his room, and asked me what was wrong. When I told him, he hugged me and said, "I'm so sorry that happened to you."

3)Nursing my babylove to sleep. We have already gone down to just one feeding a day, and I know soon I will miss these special moments of mama-baby time.

4) When Finn chases "his baby" around and around the room, they laugh and laugh and laugh. I can't bring myself to make them stop, even though it will probably end in tears.

5)The sweet smile of satisfaction on Gigi's face as she systematically took apart my purse. She knew she wasn't supposed to be doing it, but was so content it was hard to be mad. (Especially as it allowed Finn and I to make banana muffins in peace.)

6)The look on their faces when Daddy comes home. Love.

7)No matter how badly I mess up, my kids always want to kiss me goodnight. That may not always be the case, but I will always want those kisses and cherish them.

Go see Jen for more quick takes.

Today is: the Friday after the Feast of the Annunciation (which we couldn't celebrate properly because we were sick)
Finn is: a junior [construction] worker
Gigi is: his helper
Mama is watching: Ender's Game

No comments:

Post a Comment