Without further ado: the first Tuesday Top Ten.
Top Ten Nonfiction Books I Read in 2011
(I'm not so up-to-date as to have read any books published in 2011, or this millennium usually)
10) Swimming with Scapulars by Matthew Lickona
This very personal memoir of a modern young Catholic was composed from a series of articles he wrote for a Catholic journal. It talks about everything from growing up Catholic and dealing with changes in understanding his faith to NFP and raising a Catholic family. Although we might not agree on everything, (he might call me a "triddy-whacker" for going to the Tridentine mass) I found a lot I could identify with in his essentials. Besides, he named his kid Finian, so he can't be too bad.
9)The Catholic Church and History by Hillaire Belloc
Written to defend the Church from attacks from the arguments of history, Belloc's short book gives an excellent apologetic from one of the masters of English prose and history. If you're interested in the arguments on either side, I recommend reading it.
8)The Family That Overtook Christ: The Amazing Story of the Family of Bernard of Clairvoux by M. Raymond
This book is an excellent story of a wonderful family of saints. While Bernard is, of course, prominent and demands the attention of the reader with his absorbing personality, the story which most impressed me and from which I found the most inspiration was that of his mother, Alice. She wanted to become a nun, but found that her father and her heavenly Father wanted her to marry. Without ever entering the cloister and rarely ever leaving the area around her home, Alice became a saint by doing little things with charity. Her faith was an inspiration to her seven children, six monks and one nun, all of whom became saints and her husband, a lay brother after her death. She showed great love to the poor and everyone around her loved her. By being the wife and mother God wanted her to be, she helped raise on the Church's greatest saints, Bernard, who set France ablaze with zeal for God. I must remember her whenever I think that my job is not important and try to mirror her charity.
7)The Order of Things by James Schall, S.J.
In the medieval world, it was common knowledge that the physical and spiritual world has a God-given order. Most people no longer believe that, but James Schall reminds us of the philosophy that once governed the Christian world and convincingly brings us back to the realization that there really is an order to things. While philosophical, it is written in language completely palatable to the modern reader. After reading his "Life of the Mind" my senior year of college, I knew I had to give the other writings of this intelligent professor and devout Jesuit (they still exist!) a try.
6)The Privilege of Being a Woman by Alice Von Hildebrand
If you are a woman, you must read this. No questions asked. Now that I think of it, read it if you know any women. It is not, as the title might imply, your common "inspirational" literature- it's pure philosophy rather than forced feeling. The stunningly intelligent Alice Von Hildebrand gives a rationally explained argument for the Catholic philosophy of the sexes. She explains the errors of feminism in discarding femininity and gives a beautiful picture of the strength of women when acting in accordance with their God-given nature.
5)St. Edmund Campion Priest and Martyr by Evelyn Waugh
One of my favorite 20th century writers tells the story of one of the 16th centuries bravest men, Edmund Campion who was hanged, disembowelled, and drawn and quarter all because he said the Mass and heard confessions under "Good Queen Bess." A popular scholar gave up a career, his reputation, and his life in order to serve the Catholics in England through the priesthood. An eloquent man's tale told without the distractions of footnotes and formalities, it reads quickly, more like a novel than a biography.
4)Leisure: The Basis of Culture by Josef Pieper
For anyone from Hillsdale College, this book needs no introduction, and it shows how very much I liked the other books on this list that it only made it to number four. This is the argument for and explanation of the liberal arts as the study of free men. If you want to know why I went to an expensive college and got a "pointless" degree in the eyes of the world, read this book.
3) What's Wrong with the World by G.K. Chesterton
If you're interested in an intelligent and witty answer to the question, Chesterton covers the modern foibles and heresies with his usual vivacity, humor, and ultimate seriousness of purpose. This series of essays covers topics political, ethical, religious, and everything human.
2)The Path to Rome by Hillaire Belloc
Pure brilliance. Belloc describes his pilgrimage on foot from Tours to Rome and in the meantime gives his opinion on everything. You must experience this garden of prose delight.
1)The Story of a Soul by St. Therese of Liseux
St. Therese gives the story of her short life and the "little way" to heaven. Her humility, confidence in the love and mercy of God, and her own love in return are breathtaking. A very powerful little book by God's strong and vibrant "little flower."
I know that I owe you all some Finn pictures, but as I am at my parents' house laundering, I will have to use some of their old ones.
| Our family at Finn's Baptism in August. |
| He fell asleep watching television again. What kind of mother am I? |
| Happy Baby! (This one is from a month ago.) |
Finn is: 11 weeks and 5 days old
Mama is reading: Old Thunder by Joseph Pearce (I took a break to read Cranford, though it is very good and would definitely be on this list if had finished it.)
No comments:
Post a Comment