Two quick thoughts for today: First, I can't believe summer is almost gone. I feel a desperate need to go do summery things like eat ice cream and play in sand. Thankfully, we do a lot of that around here. The simplest part of gratitude is loving where and when you are, so we are soaking up every last bit of a pure Michigan summer.
![]() |
| Super Finn eats Superman ice cream. |
![]() |
| Cruisin is serious business |
The second thing I wanted to mention has to do with all the conflict we hear about in the news. One of the scariest things about war is that it forces us to talk about humans, individual souls in unique bodies fashioned in the image of God, as masses of collateral tissue, statistics, and faceless groups. When I started thinking recently about how we are to see others as "children of God," I was suddenly struck with the meaning behind that tired
phrase. How do I treat the children of my beloved friends and family? Don't I cherish them and want the best for them, even if I have never met them? Doesn't my heart break when I see them hurt? The love I bear for their parents and the love of the parents have for them forms a chain that has linked them to my heart forever. So it should be with every single person. They are precious to our heart's beloved and that is enough to make them dear. We ought to pray, then, for every soul with the sane fervent devotion with which we pray for our loved ones, even if they are dictators or soldiers, foreign martyrs or familiar politicians. We are to pray most of all for their souls. May God have mercy on us all.
Read Pope Francis' plea for a day of prayer here: http://ww
w.vatican.va/holy_father/francesco/angelus/2013/documents/papa-francesco_angelus_20130901_en.html
Today is: the feast of St. Gregory the Great
Finn is: 2 smart for his own good
Gigi: 6& 1/2 months of cute
Mama just read: The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver




No comments:
Post a Comment