Thursday, March 8, 2012

Motherhood as a Lesson in Gratitude

At times, babies seem to have an aggravating sixth-sense that alerts them to when it would be most inconvenient for them to be loud, awake, and demanding of your attention.  This "mama's busy" alarm often sounds during mass, when you need to make a phone call, or when your hands are covered in sticky dough.  At times like these, I often realize the things that I had taken for granted before becoming a mama, things like: naps, uninterrupted showers, sleeping all the way through the night, "running in" or "stopping by" anywhere, and the ability to eat or drink things without someone trying to grab your cup and cutlery.  Sometimes, I'm ready to book a table for one at the self-pity party.
Baking like Mama!

I have noticed, however, that when I stop bemoaning the loss of these things, I can move on to a new found gratitude for them.  For example, when Grandma watched Finn so that my husband and I could attend a Lenten talk and mass, we were able to focus on what we were experiencing and truly appreciate it.  I value time with friends so much more now that it's a little more difficult to get together, and I enjoy every minute of a peaceful dinner when Jf and I have date nights.  "Absence makes the heart grow fonder" might be a proverb intended for human relationships, but I find it applies to sleep, time to read, and even getting dressed up.  I certainly relish all of things far more for their relative rarity in my life as a mother.

Finn more than makes up for all the things I "miss out" on.  I am paid back a hundredfold in smiles, snuggles, and sloppy kisses for silly trivialities like going places by myself.  But it is an extra gift to learn to appreciate what I once took for granted, because, as someone who has so much to be grateful for, I can surely use more lessons in gratitude.

Today is: The Feast of St. John of God
Finn is: 7 months and 3 weeks old
Mama is reading: Beard on Bread by James Beard

No comments:

Post a Comment