It's only in recent years, however, that I learned about the other two special days this weekend. If you attended mass, you probably noticed the priest's rose-colored vestments yesterday because of "Laetare" Sunday, the fourth Sunday in Lent where we are ordered to rejoice in the midst of our repentance. The church exhorts us to recall that although Christ's death approaches, it is through that necessary mystery of faith that we find our way to heaven. Through the "re-presenting" of his death in the Eucharist, which we are able and encouraged to receive during Lent, Christ continues the work of the cross: the redemption of the world. This year, Laetare Sunday, a movable "feast" of sorts, seems especially joyful because it happens to fall on March 18th, which puts it between St. Patrick's Day and today, the feast of St. Joseph.
Besides being the patron of Italy, workers, and fathers, St. Joseph is the patron saint of the Universal Church. That means that if you are a member of Christ's church, He has given you His Foster Father as a special advocate and guide. One thing that always strikes me about St. Joseph is his life of self-sacrifice. He trusted and loved God so much that he did everything God asked of him, giving up one thing after another to glorify God rather than himself. Joseph sacrificed his pride and desire for human respect when he listened to the angel and took the pregnant Mary for his wife. Through great difficulties, he protected and provided for her and the child Jesus in Bethlehem, Egypt, and Nazareth. I'm sure he had another idea of how his life would be, but he chose the challenge of the life God chose for him: one of chastity, obedience, and sacrifice for his family.
As a parent and a Christian, I often struggle with putting to death my own desires in order that I may fulfill my God-given duty. It is difficult to choose to do what is best for my family, especially when it is more difficult and less "exciting" than what I had in mind. Even little sacrifices, like moving at an infant's pace when I have something I want to do or somewhere I want to be, often leave me impatient and frustrated. St. Joseph must have struggled with these things too, but he ultimately achieved sainthood by a daily choice to serve God rather than himself. St. Joseph wasn't a martyr, in fact, he is the patron saint of a good death because he died as we all hope to, surrounded by Christ and the Blessed Mother; his life, however, was a martyrdom, a constant death to self.
What a worthy patron for all Christians(and one I particularly need now), one whose life of service we can all turn to for example!
| In his festive finery, a.k.a. a rainbow of green, for St. Patrick's day! |
p.s. On the Finn front, little buddy has begun moving forward! It's mostly a jerky "army crawl," but definitely progress. He also can go from the crawling position to sitting up, which makes for an entertaining way of getting around. Scooch, roll, sit, flop, or crawl, this baby is going places.
Today is: The Feast of St. Joseph
Finn is: Eight Months and Five Days
Mama is reading: Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver.



No comments:
Post a Comment