Friday, March 2, 2012

Five Things I've Found Time for Without Facebook

Still Scooting Backwards
So, as you may or may not know, I have said a temporary adieu to ye olde social network for the lenten season.  It's amazing how much I have come to depend upon it for a quick break and a connection to the outside world.  With my social fix voluntarily off limits and one of our cars out of commission, I've found myself with a bit of extra time on my hands. So here's what I've been up to, besides playing with that crazy baby:

1)Baked a loaf of bread. Ok, stop acting impressed- I cheated.  It was No-Knead Beer Bread.  It took very little skill and hands-on time.  (Here's the recipe I used.) But it was delicious, and hopefully will inspire me to keep trying to make bread.  The truth is, I am a little afraid of bread.  People who make bread always seem like over-achievers.  Please don't take offense if you make bread.  I say this with great admiration, awe, and, as a fellow over-achiever, envy.  I really do plan on making real bread.  Just maybe next week.  After all, if there's one thing I learned in college, its that even over-achievers can procrastinate.

2)Made Lenten Soup.  It's not really called that, but I seem to make it every Lent for its filling warmth and vegetarian ingredients.  It's actually completely vegan and can even be adapted for Orthodox Lent, provided you omit the oil. My friend and I discovered it back in high school when we were full-time vegetarians; it's called Pasta e Fagioli (though it's very little like the meat versions you might have tried.)

Here's our recipe as I have adapted it over time:


Pasta e Fagioli (Lent Soup)
2 tbsp olive oil
2 carrots, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
2-4 cloves of garlic, minced
2 cans red kidney beans, drained
2 cans diced tomatoes
2 cans cannelini beans, mashed with a fork or pureed in a blender
6 cups vegetable broth or stock
1 1/2 cups ditalini pasta
salt, pepper, and parsley to taste

1)Heat oil over medium heat, add onions and carrots. Cook until soft, adding the garlic cloves last.
2)Add drained kidney beans, tomatoes, and mashed cannelini beans.
3) Add vegetable stock and bring to a boil.  Season with salt, pepper, and parsley.
4)Add noodles and boil about ten minutes.
5)Reduce heat and let simmer until ready to serve.  (It will get very thick and chili-like, the longer it sits.  I prefer it this way, but if you don't: either take off the heat as soon as noodles are done, or add additional vegetable stock to make soupier).

I'm gonna eatcha!
3)Introduced the buddy to the wonders of the baby backpack.  While we have been using the frontpack carrier up until now, Finn is finally big enough to ride around in our hiking style baby carrier.  (It was a hand-me-down, as you probably know if you've ever seen me attempt to hike.  I love walks, but I am a sad, whiny excuse for a hiker.)  From up there he can watch, but not touch, as I do dishes, clean up, or cook.  Being able to do these things while he is awake means that I can have a little mama time while he sleeps, which, thankfully, he has been doing pretty well lately.

Finn doesn't leave much time for literary pursuits
4)Caught up on a few books and movies recommended by friends. I read Swamplandia by Karen Russell, which I found heartrendingly disturbing and beautifully written  (I have some caveats before I would recommend it (hopefully the disturbing cued you in), but I couldn't put it down.) I watched and read The Help by Kathryn Stockett.  I know, I know, I am miles behind the times, but I don't get to the library very often and I get to the movies even less.  I also saw Midnight in Paris and have been getting my BBC literary fix with Return to Cranford and Lark Rise to Candleford.

5)Made muffins!  Ok, so you definitely are realizing that Lent has failed to dampen my love for baking.  I've just re-directed it away from desserts; although, the muffin recipe I am about to post is most probably cheating.  Anyway you should make these muffins just for the wonderful smell they will give your house, not to mention the wonderful taste they will give your breakfast.  I needed to use up the rest of the pumpkin I had around after introducing it into Finn's diet (he likes it, but I can only freeze so many baby portions of pumpkin and banana), thus I give you

Pumpkin Banana Muffins (adapted from this Dole recipe)
3/4 cup canned pumpkin
2 ripe bananas, mashed
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup milk
1 egg
1 3/4 cup flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp each: ginger, nutmeg, cloves, allspice

Optional streusel topping:
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp each: ginger, nutmeg, cloves, allspice

1)Preheat oven to 375, grease or line muffin tins.
2)Blend wet (first six) ingredients well.
3)Mix dry ingredients.
4)Add wet ingredients to dry until just mixed together. (don't overstir!)
5)Spoon into muffin tins
6)Mix streusel topping and distribute evenly over muffins
7)Bake about 20 minutes or until fork comes out clean.

  We actually have been trying to do more for Lent then eat well, but I wanted to share what we've been up to and a couple of recipes. The grey world outside has gotten me down far more than the penitential season, so I hope a muffin or a picture of Finn will brighten your day like they have mine.

How can this not make you happy?
Today is: The First Friday in Lent
Finn is: 7 and a half months old
Mama is reading: Miracles by C.S. Lewis

5 comments:

  1. I know yeast bread sounds intimidating. It's alive for awhile there after all! However, it's way easier than baking a cake or pie. A standard white or wheat bread has a pretty forgiving dough.

    Love the pictures of Finn. He is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement! Inga is quite the doll herself! I loved her eating adventure pictures.

      Delete
  2. Yay for baby pictures! They do make grey and snowy (really, MI???) days better!

    I also made Lent soup tonight! Kale and potatoes and green onions. So much fun and so delicious.

    I'm curious, what did you think of The Help? All the synopses I've read have been less than enthralling...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love homemade soup. period.

      I was pleasantly surprised by The Help, considering my general wariness (read English major snobbery) of book club type favorites. The characters are very human and there are some quite funny bits. The author manages to deal with some hefty issues in what I consider a "light" sort of read without making light of the issues. If that makes sense. . .I enjoyed it.

      Delete
  3. The soup sounds tasty!

    I'm right with you on Swamplandia! Another book that's just out (and that you might like) is "No One Is Here Except All of Us," by Ramona Ausubel. I've lost my voice this week, but will call soon.

    ReplyDelete