Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Ode to Mommy Blogs

So Matt Walsh recently wrote a great piece on how everyone needed to calm down about non-moral parenting issues, as in pretty much every parenting choice that people freak out about.  I completely agree that a war over how other people raise their children is beyond counter-productive, it's downright harmful. No one feels adequate, and everyone is angry and/or hurt.  Not good.

I don't agree with one thing though: his implication that being a "daddy blogger" or "mommy blogger" makes you into a fellow-parent-slamming, soapbox preaching, Judgy McJudgerson.  (In all fairness, it was the emails he received that made him think others saw him this way. So really I disagree with their view.)

You see I recently have gotten hooked on several Mommy blogs, and not just those written by real life friends. It's not because these moms answer all my questions about how to raise my kids.  It's not because I agree with them on all the "controversial issues.". I don't search for validation in my own parenting choice or a chance to be shocked at others.

I read Mommy blogs, because, instead of making me feel judged and inadequate, they make me feel like we are all on this together.  Maybe I don't have the only toddler who rushes for the altar at mass like It's the finish line of a marathon or the only baby who acts like solid food is a betrayal.
By sharing our experiences and, occasionally, advice, we don't feel so alone.  To be honest, it can be easy to feel alone as a parent, especially if you are young.  A lot of my friends don't have kids or live far away. Parenthood is challenging and other moms can empathize, but it is also wonderful and they can remind you of that as well.

Mommy blogs have also blessed my life by showing me the very thing he was talking about: every family has a different situation with unique children that require a one-of-a-kind parent.  I love to see families of every shape, size, culture, and personality thriving. Because God made us different for a reason. There's a lot to learn from sharing our perspectives. And moms with more kids and more experience?  They can teach me so much even I'd we have different "parenting styles."

There's plenty to dislike about the internet.  People can be rude, disgusting, unfeeling, judgemental, and downright idiotic. But they can also bless your life from afar with great ideas, understanding, camaraderie, and a mutual love of the good, the true, and the beautiful.

So, friends, bloggers, Mr. Walsh, don't stop blogging about your children and your life.  There's more to "mommy blogs" than "mommy wars," there's a whole community of families growing and learning together.

Today is: The Feast of the Holy Relics (and the anniversary of a Catholic almost blowing up Parliament.  Try not to burn any effigies)
Finn is: talking to Darth Vadar?!? Don't ask
Gigi is: the cutest thing on wobbledy legs
Mama is: unapologetic about reading mommy blogs

No comments:

Post a Comment