Nothing in my life has made me feel more helpless than being a parent. When I was young, it seemed that parents were in control, the knowers and the doers, the strong and courageous ones. But now that I am one myself, I find myself often afraid, not knowing what to do. I've discovered that there's nothing I can do to stop teething or tummy-aches, that I'm not able to keep my children always happy, healthy and good, and that I cannot make this world the one I want it to be for my children. Looking at a sick toddler or crying baby who can't understand why Mama doesn't fix it, I've been brought to tears by the feeling of complete helplessness.
| How could you not want to protect that sweetness? |
Recent events in the world, the Gosnell trial especially , have brought to mind both the hideous truth of abortion and the weighty feeling of my own helplessness. How can such evil exist so close to my home? How can I, who have so little money, time, or ability, do anything against it? It seems so unlikely that I can do anything, I have often pushed the subject from my mind, just to avoid living in the sad truth that I am helpless against such a wretchedly mighty force.
When talking with my husband about this, however, I realized this mindset was both false and dangerous- the exact sort of thing a devil would whisper in your ear. You see, giving in to evil because we are helpless discounts one very important thing: the help of a God whose power is made perfect in weakness, a God who promises mighty things to those who pray. Prayer is the weapon given to every Christian in the face of evil. It is the one thing that the enemy cannot take away and cannot withstand. We have the unique ability to strike a blow for Christ whenever and wherever we are, that is, to pray continously and to offer up our suffering. Each day, we can battle against the greatest evil of our times by praying with the saints, our Blessed Mother, and our brothers and sisters in Christ for the end to abortion. From now on, I fully intend to do my best to seize that opportunity.
Today is: The Feast of St. Julius
Finn is: 21 months old
Baby Gigi is: 8 weeks old already!
Update on the kiddos:
Gigi is smiling! and making darling cooing noises that sound like "HI!" She is so chubby and I just love it. (Apparently, so does she, as she is completely smitten with the pretty baby in the mirror.)
| Easter Eggs! |
Great post! I often become overwhelmed with a feeling of sadness when I think about bringing children into this world. How do we keep them away from all the evil out there? I suppose the same way I was "kept away" from it: by being brought up in a prayerful, Christian home and taught how to help the world by being a good Christian. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this!
ReplyDelete