'Would that I could exhaust myself in acts of thanksgiving and gratitude towards this Divine Heart. . ."
St. Margaret Mary Alacoque
As Thanksgiving approaches, we often think (under duress around the family table or not) about the things for which we are thankful. We are told to count our blessings, to remember God's goodness, and to lift up prayers of thanksgiving. These are all wonderful things to do, and it seems a shame that, for many, the only habitual reminder is this one holiday. (I often think about what it would be like to live in a time or place ruled by a book of hours, where one's day was punctuated by psalms and daily prayers were a way of life. I have been trying, in my own small ways, to recreate a little of this feeling. Even if it only starts with grace before all meals, a daily rosary, and saying the Angelus when we hear the church bells, I hope, little by little, to infuse our lives with prayer.)
I wonder how often, however, we think about going beyond voicing our gratitude. I've often heard one ought to have "an attitude of gratitude," and I agree with the sentiment of the phrase. We should live our lives aware of how God continually works in them. Rather than focusing on our trials, we should see, even in them, oppurtunities for gratitude all around us. This is more than "always look on the bright side of life." It's a conscious choice to acknowledge God's sovreignty and goodness with humility. Such a perspective, although more difficutlt than it sounds, can radically alter how we handle every aspect of our life.
But, I'm talking about going beyond how we perceive our lives to how we live them.
Have you ever heard a parent or teacher say that the best thanks they could receive is to hear that a child had put into practice what they had been taught? St John says something similar to this in his third epistle, "I have no greater grace than this, to hear that my children walk in truth." As a mother, I can truly say that the best way a child could show their thanks for their parents care would be to grow up into the sort of person their parents hoped they would become. As a friend, I can witness that the best way a friend can thank me is in reciprocating my friendship. Gratitude in these cases is more than words and more than an attitude, it is a reaction to a gift that changes one's life.
If it is our actions that can best thank our earthly parents and friends for the gifts they give of themselves, how much more then are we called to "acts of thanksgiving and gratitude" towards God, who gives of Himself all things? 1 Samuel says, "Obedience is better than sacrifice," and it seems therein we find a clear answer to how we can best thank God: with our lives. Has God given you a good family? Be the best child or parent or spouse you can be. Are you thankful for forgiveness? "Go and sin no more." Grateful for the Eucharist? Treat it with respect and participate with its efficacious grace in your life. Do you wish to thank God for the saints? Follow their holy example. Has God called you to serve him? As St. Paul says, "Walk worthy of the vocation in which you are called."
All this said, I can think of nothing more difficult than living a life worthy of what God has given me. I can hardly remember to see my blessings, yet alone thank God for them with my words and actions. That, of course, is where Christ's inexhaustible grace comes in. It is a great honor and favor that we can participate in our own salvation, and it is a great relief that we do not have to save ourselves. When we live a life of thanksgiving, we work with God toward breaking down our selfish souls and remaking them in the image of Christ. To quote St. Paul again, “I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but
Christ who lives in me…" To live a life of thanksgiving is to live a life of obedience, even to suffering, that in suffering with Christ (not instead of Christ), we can hope to gain with Him the glory of His Resurrection.
| Showing off those teeth! He has six now, though one is hard to see still. |
Today is: The Feast of St. Josaphat
Finn is: almost 16 months old
Mama is reading: Dignitas Magazine, (Thanks Julie Robison for the link!)
Littlest One is: 26 weeks along
No comments:
Post a Comment