Thursday, April 12, 2012

Easter Week! True Happiness and True Confessions

Happy Easter All!
Christ is Risen! Alleluia!

Here are some updates on our family's little ups and down.

Smug muffin.
True Happiness: Watching Finn's great excitement as he explores the world in a whole new way.  Finnian is really, really moving, like a speeding bullet baby.  He's taking steps along the couch and with his walking toy.  Everything he can get into is a new source of profound delight.  He is so very proud of himself for standing, crawling, and cruising.Crawling? Old news. Going from room to room and following mom? He's got it down. Climbing on stuff? He's an expert. What a smugmuffin.  An adorable, adorable smugmuffin.


True Confession: Making sure Finn doesn't throw himself off a high surface, electrocute himself, impale himself, topple anything on himself, or destroy everything in the house is a full-time exhausting job.  Sometimes I just want to put him in a soft, safe place and take a nap.

True Happiness: Spending Holy Week and Easter in our wonderful church and with our loving families.  We were able to attend the Tridentine Triduum  at Assumption Grotto, which was moving, beautiful, and full of sacred solemnity and joy.  We even heard two great homilies by the excellent Father Z of internet fame.  After attending Easter vigil, we could spend all day on Easter celebrating the resurrection by feasting and relaxing with our families.

Check out that dapper Easter outfit! You can't see it, but his pants have cuffs and pleats.
True Confession: Church with just Finn and I on Thursday was difficult to say the least, as Finn just wanted to talk to the kids behind us and explore (and eat) everything in the church, neither of which was particularly a good idea for anyone's concentration.  Thankfully, Grandmas took Finn for the other services, but, boy, was there a lot of driving to get between families and church. Not to mention no naps for a cranky baby. Sometimes holidays are the most tiring relaxing of all.
Mama and her favorite trouble baby.



Also, a personal confession: every time I have to dress up for a holiday I suffer a minor mental and emotional breakdown trying to figure out what to wear. You'd think I would have grown out of this by now.  After all, I have a cute baby to distract anyone from my physical and sartorial deficiencies. Nope, I'm just a big, vain baby at heart sometimes.


True Happiness: Feasting again after Lent!  I've baked brownies, shortbread jam bars, cinnamon rolls, and chocolate chip cookies. . . so far.  Baking bread instead of sweets has been a fun experience that I truly enjoyed.  I have every intention of continuing to bake bread, but I seriously missed sweets.


True Confession:  I've been flirting with the boundaries of gluttony in my excessive Easter joy (read: candy).


Toddling, here I come!


Today is: Easter Thursday
Finn is: 8 months and 4 weeks old

Mama just finished reading: Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns) by Mindy Kaling

No comments:

Post a Comment