Monday, February 6, 2012

In Praise of Life's Little Rhythms

I've never been much of an organizer, scheduler, planner, or neat freak.  The closest I come to being on top of things is making a to-do list; the main point of which, of course, is procrastinating on the things I've not yet done and writing down things I've already done so I can cross them off and exult in my progress.  That aside, I have  mostly considered myself a "free spirit" type, unbound by calendars and clocks. Having a baby has really made me realize, however, how much I value having a sort of rhythm to my life.

Save me from the den of illness!
I gained a new appreciation for the rhythm Finn and I had developed when it was smashed to pieces in the tsunami of illness and that hit our family last week.  We were suddenly overwhelmed with the stomach flu on Monday.  Thankfully, Finn was safe and whisked away by Grandma, but my husband and I were sad, sorry puddles of human beings for the rest of the week.  Especially when the stomach flu was closely followed by a sinus infection.  Even after Monday, when we couldn't leave our bed, I found myself unable to keep up with what I discovered was my normal routine of cleaning, keeping our family fed, and our lives in some semblance of order.  It was a rocky week without just a few little things I took for granted- health, energy, and the rhythm that allowed the little boat of our family to stay sailing merrily along.

Thankfully, we are recovering this week and I was actually able to enjoy my life at home with Finn today, instead of just muddling through it.  I could laugh as Finn found new ways to propel himself around the room without crawling,  instead of oozing after him in a daze of worry.  I could let him distract himself in his ever-growing curiosity during his meals without wondering when they would be over.  I found myself sinking back into the natural give-and-take rhythm of our mama and baby day and I was intensely grateful for it.

this crazy baby is anything but routine
I have to admit I sometimes feel a little stuck by the routine, especially on days like today when I don't have much way to get out of the house, but that is when I forget that the rhythm of my life is a gift, not a trap.  Just as God ordered the universe, He made human lives to have a natural order.  "Routines" like the seasons of nature and the Church remind us of our place and part in God's world.  Our lives rightly ordered reflect the artistry that holds the fabric of existence in place.  I hope that in the future I can more cheerily play my tiny domestic tune in echo of the music of the spheres.

p.s.
Finn's snowsuit is a little too big.


Finn now enjoys: peas, sweet potatoes, pears, and applesauce, along with sitting, tumbling, rolling, scooching, and sucking his thumb. Oh and screaming.  This kid loves screaming.
Today is: The Feast of St. Titus
Finn is: Six Months and Three Weeks Old
Mama is reading: Toward the Gleam by T.M. Doran

2 comments:

  1. I can sympathize. I have a head cold and Sam stayed home to take care of Inga. It really confused her and totally through off her routine! I am glad you guys are all feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your posts Meg, and especially this one! I've started babysitting a 4 year old and 1 year old 3 days a week, and the routine I have developed with them is one I value. It is amazing working with little people as they grow and develop, and how much I am enjoying the routine of the ordinary.

    So glad the Mr. and Mrs. are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete