![]() |
| So cute, so crazy. |
As he jumped on the bed where I had banished him, singing "Let it Go" at the top of his lungs and occasionally venturing out to throw things down the stairs, I saw the perfect opportunity to start again. Stopped outside our house was an ice cream truck, a phenomenon I have not seen in our almost two years of living here. I grabbed my spare change and the baby, and headed outside to buy a peace offering. Chocolate malt cup in hand, I called Finn down to tell him dinner was almost ready and I had a special surprise.
"Do you know why I bought you ice cream?" I asked and gave him the answer, "Because I love you no matter what and want to make you happy. But for you to be happy, you also have to be good. That's why you get in trouble when you're naughty."
If you're waiting for the touching ending, don't hold your breath.
He replied, "I don't like you. You're bad."
After he refused to eat his favorite dinner and punched his baby sister, he didn't even get any ice cream.
Times like these, I start to ask myself familiar questions, like:
"How many times will I let him break my heart with his words, before he realizes I love him?"
"How many times do I have to start the day over, asking for one with no yelling and no naughtiness?"
"How many struggles over politeness, gentleness, and kindness, before he understands how to treat other people?"
Or, less seriously,
"How many diapers will I change before he decides he's ready to potty train?"
"How many trips to the store will I make before I don't embarrass myself running after, pulling down, and wrestling with my preschooler?"
Not to mention,
"How many tears will I shed before my children are grown?"
And
"How many prayers will I offer up to be a good mom, before I don't feel like a failure at the end of the day?"
I realize that answer to all these questions, as you probably discerned from the title of my post, has to be: "as many as it takes." The only reason I can say that with confidence, though, is that I know others who have given that answer faithfully, time and again.
"How many days will my husband get up and work at a job that is not his passion to provide for our family?" As many as it takes.
"How many times will he assure me I'm doing my best and dry my tears?" As many as it takes.
"How many sacrifices and heartaches did my own parents endure to raise me to be happy, healthy, and God-fearing?" As many as it took.
"How many ways do my family members and friends show their support despite my faults?" As many as it takes.
Most importantly,
"How many times does my God take me back when I have sinned, broken His Heart, and let Him down?"
![]() |
| Summer!! |
Today is: The Monday after Trinity Sunday
Finn is: less than a month from 3
Gigi is: too little to climbing the fort, right? Wrong.
Mama is Reading: The Midwife by Jennifer Worth



This was an amazing post...so relatable!!! And some great food for thought as we "battle" every day with our children and daily life.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Jason! It's important for us mamas to remember dads struggle with all this stuff too.
DeleteWe have a new term for this "threenager". I think Inga has spent more time in time out this week than hanging out with mom and dad.
ReplyDeleteYou got it exactly right with this one, Megan. Thank you!
ReplyDelete