Babies come into the world knowing nothing, and it can be a bit overwhelming for parents when you realize you have to teach them EVERYTHING. From colors and the alphabet to table manners and civility, from songs and prayers to kindness and courage, what our children know, they know from us. There are other sources, both good and bad, to which we can expose them, but even access to the outside world is our choice and our responsibility. We may not be the ones who teach them calculus or lacrosse or
conversational French, but we establish the building blocks of learning
that allow them to continue in their education. Parents teach children how to learn. Before you have a child (and after!) this awe-inspiring, monumental task can be a source of great panic, even more so if you plan on educating them at home. "What if I forget something?" "What if I don't know enough?" "What if I teach them incorrectly?" "Where do I even start?"
I've always been hyper-concerned about education; so, needless to say, with another baby on the way and all sorts of new things for Finn to learn every day, these sorts of questions have been bothering me too. When I think of all the things I have to teach and all the learning opportunities I miss every day, I'm ready to run myself through the parental shredder. I am responsible for my growing child's mind, body, and soul and I know how often I fail him-- both by lack of example or bad example. I look at moms with more kids and think, 'How will I ever be able to do it?"
Now I know that having one toddler hardly qualifies me as experienced and I have so much to learn, but I want you other parents/future parents driving your selves crazy to do something with me. Are you ready?
BREATHE.
We are going to be ok. You know how I know? Because we care enough to ask these questions, to evaluate ourselves, and to want to be better. One thing I've learned in the past 18 months: nothing is quite the crisis we make it out to be. Some others I've learned from watching many great parents: no one has the perfect method, no one follows their method all the time, and everyone learns as they go along.

[[Sidenote: So often I am concerned that I don't have "the right approach" or the "right teaching method," that I haven't read the right books or blogs. But, so often, the problems I see around me are not from parents teaching their children in the wrong way or with the wrong method, but with parents refusing to teach their children at all. People look to schools, daycare, church groups, the government, or television to raise their children. They see it as someone else's responsibility to teach them not only reading and writing, but also morals and character. I am not criticizing people for utilizing school systems, educational programs, catechism or Sunday school, but (and I know enough teachers, in public and private schools, to know that it would not offend them to say so) it is no school's job to "train a child up in the way he should go."]]

I may not yet know how I am going to handle preschool or even potty-training. I may have no idea how, except by the grace of God, I am going to take care of two (and one day more!) children. I know, however, that it is not having all the answers to education that makes a good parent, but wanting them to grow good, kind, strong, and wise, and doing everything you can to teach them how. This can be a hard thing to accept: that we have a responsibility, but we won't always know how to fulfill it. It helps, however, if you ask for help and peace from the greatest Father of all, who cares for both you and your child most of all.
Today is: The Feast of Blessed Marianne of Molokai
Finn is: a year and a half old!
Mama hopes to start reading: The Interior Castle by St. Teresa of Avila
Littlest One is: due in only three weeks!
Great post, Megan. I am often pretty sure that I'm going to destroy my children with my own ignorance. Fortunately, they're patient with me as I learn.
ReplyDeleteAlso, I can't believe how big Finn is. So grown up!