Also a belated happy feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe, Patroness of the Americas. I love how so often Our Lady shows herself to the poor, the young, the dispossessed, and the humble (its this last one I particularly need to work on.) She shows us the love of Christ for them and His power to use everyone to do great things for the kingdom of God. I pray I will be open to her and her Son, like Juan Diego, the children of Fatima, and Bernadette, my own patron saint, were.
Finally, a very happy belated feast of St. Nicholas to you all! (If you have never read about the real St. Nicholas, I strongly advise you do so here.) I remember in college my roommate's mother had a friend from home play St. Nicholas and fill our shoes with goodies. I hope one day to start a St. Nicholas tradition with my children, although this year Finn is too little to have any shoes to fill.
| Look how big he got since last time I posted! |
| Lookin good for Thanksgiving. |
Finn has been doing much better, but because he no longer likes taking naps in his crib, (read will not do so) I have had much less down time to blog. That's my excuse for now.
Last time, I talked about how I wanted to increase my little family's awareness of Advent as a time of preparation. Here's what we decided to do for this year. Hopefully, next year, and as Finn grows, we can add more Advent traditions. My husband and I have been attempting to abstain from meat on Wednesdays and Fridays and hopefully on the Ember Days of Lent. We are saying the Christmas Novena or St. Andrew's Novena, which starts on his feast day, November 30th and goes until Christmas. Unlike a normal novena, it is longer than 9 days and repeated 15 times a day. It goes like this:
Hail and blessed be the hour and moment in which the Son of God was born of the most pure Virgin Mary, at midnight, in Bethlehem, in piercing cold. In that hour, vouchsafe, O my God! to hear my prayer and grant my desires, through the merits of Our Saviour Jesus Christ, and of His Blessed Mother. Amen.
I strongly encourage you to try this, even though its so late in the year or perhaps make a note for next year. I think saying it helps you remember Advent throughout each day. Although I always intend to say it about hourly, I usually end up finishing a bunch of them at the end of the day. We also made a very simple Advent wreath with a pine wreath centerpiece and votive candles for now and try to remember to do our Advent devotions after dinner or before bed. We often fail to remember even these few things. I just wanted to give you some ideas of simple ways to remember Advent and try to hold myself accountable after telling everyone how important Advent is.
In honor of Gaudete! Sunday, we have rejoiced in the coming of Christ by splurging on a real, live Christmas tree. Finn adores it. It's right next to the glider where he eats and he gazes at it lovingly all the time.
He did not, however, adore cereal. We tried to feed him some to teach him about eating and help that growing boy sleep a little later in the morning. No such luck.
| I'm really not so sure about this, Daddy. |
Here are five other things Finn has discovered he does adore this past month:
5)Sitting up (almost). He can only sit without assistance for about 20 seconds so far, but with someone to steady him/ hold on to the back of his clothes to keep him from face-planting into whatever he is trying to devour, Finn can see and eat the world so much better from this position. He is doing better everyday working on those ab muscles, though he hasn't rolled over yet. Oh well, no baby is perfect.
4)Peek-a-boo. He can't do it himself yet, but he loves to have a blanket put on him and taken off with those magic words. "Where's Finn? There he is! Peek a boo!"
3)Other Babies, Children and Cats. He could watch his cousins and second cousins forever. He finally found a cat that let him touch him and they both loved it. The cat found a scratching post and Finn found a big fluffy toy.
| He is very smiley now. |
1)His Daddy. He constantly wants Jf to hold him, sing to him, make him into an airplane, anything. This is just the beginning of a very beautiful thing. Daddy and his little buddy.
Well I suppose now that the baby's in bed and my blog has been saved from sure ruination due to gross neglect, I should probably eat something and hide Daddy's Christmas present. Thanks for listening!
Today is: The Feast of St. Lucy
Finn is: one day away from being FIVE MONTHS OLD
Mama recently finished reading: The Turmoil by Booth Tarkington
Maybe one day she can read again. . . If this little cute face lets her.

Inga recently began her teething pains. Lots of fussing, drooling, chewing, and nursing. It has really interrupted her bedtime routine (i.e. refuses to go to bed even when exhausted). Good thing babies are so darn cute!
ReplyDeleteSo big and so cute! Have any of his teeth come in yet, or are they still hiding?
ReplyDeleteJames and I just got our tree on Saturday and decorated it last night...so much fun! Are you guys staying in MI for Christmas?
Amen, Sam and Kate. They are definitely cute for a reason.
ReplyDeleteSarah, no teeth yet and yes we will be in MI as all our family is here :)