Sunday, November 13, 2011

A Homey Update

I know I didn't post last week, so I thought I would give a little update on what our little family has been up to here at home. 

Two and a half weeks ago, Finn's cousin and future buddy, Tommy, was born.  (You probably saw the picture I posted earlier, unfortunately, I keep forgetting about my camera when we visit.)  We have visited him a few times already, and are quite taken with him.  He's so very small and sleepy and still a bit squishy in that darling newborn way, though he's finally stretching out his legs now.  It makes me realize how quickly Finn has gotten big!  It seems like he was just sleeping all day and make mewing sort of noises and now he is bright-eyed most of the day giggling, chatting, and squealing.
We made Aunt Emily this tasty Chicken Divan.  You have to try this recipe from the queen of comfort food Paula Deen.  I used fresh broccoli and pan-fried chicken breast and added peppers, other than that I kept it the same.


 Last week, my dear friend Aly came over to hang out with Finn and we had a marvelous bake-a-thon.  We made this delicious pumpkin ginger cake (we substituted brown sugar for half of the white) and served it with pumpkin ice cream and caramel sauce. YUM.  We also made oatmeal cookies, half with raisins and chocolate chips and the other half with decadent amounts of cherries and white chocolate.  We adapted my oatmeal rum raisin cookies, which I can't wait to make for Christmas. The key to perfect oatmeal cookies is to simmer or soak your fruit and add the liquid to the batter- this makes them moist and delicious.



This one at Grandma's house allows for maximum jumping.
Finn has recently discovered the joy of entertainers and the Bumbo chair (the molded foam seat you see above, which helps babies to sit up when they don't have ab muscles developed yet.)  Really, I am the one who is most excited about them, because I can get things done while he entertains himself.  Sometimes I have to sing him songs and change the lyrics to include his name (such as Oh my Darling Finny Boy, We Love You Finnian, and Oh Finny Boy (the pipes are calling)), but at least I can set him down while I do the dishes or something.  He loves to jump, bounce, and play with the toys, though he sometimes can't figure out how he gets stuck in one direction.

Tomorrow my Finnian will be four months old, which is hard for me to believe- so big!  At the same time, though, I feel like I've always been his mama. He is wearing 6-9 month clothes already and size 3 diapers.  I sadly packed up his cute 3-6 month clothes for Tommy, hoping he won't grow out of the next set so very quickly.  Finn is getting so good at grabbing things and bringing them to his mouth on purpose.  He wants to grab everything from dinner plates to Mama's hair to Daddy's tie, and they would all go in his mouth if he had his way.  He can hold himself on his arms for tummy time and is working his way to sitting up.  His current method of transportation is scooching (technical medical term, dontcha know).   He can only really get anywhere by kicking his legs, so he tries to kick himself out of your arms, down the bed, or into the bath water.  He is one scoochy little baby.  He just wants to move, move, move.  He also wants to see and hear everything, which makes him more reluctant to sleep or eat when things are going on.  This can wear Mama out and make it difficult for her to write blog posts.  But he makes up for it by being a smiley, happy little buddy most of the time.  I am so lucky.
Laughin',

Talkin',

kickin those cute feet,

and moving those strong muscles make me

tired out!






























Boy do I love Irish Cream frosting.
Two other culinary adventures we've had lately include Irish Car Bomb Cake and Pumpkin Pancakes.  For the first I will refer you to my inspiration, smitten kitchen's chocolate whiskey beer cupcakes.  I made the recipe I have for Guinness cake in two 9 inch pans, then filled the middle with Bailey's buttercream frosting and topped the whole thing with Jameson ganache. So, so good.  And I will give you the simple recipe for the second.  These are a really tasty way to start a Saturday morning.


Pumpkin Pancakes

1 egg
2 tbsp oil
1 cup buttermilk (or 1 cup whole milk and a splash of vinegar or lemon juice to make it yourself)
1 cup canned or home-cooked pumpkin

1 cup flour (I used white whole wheat flour)
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp ginger

1)Heat a griddle (to 375)  or skillet  with butter.
2)Whisk together liquid ingredients, starting by beating the egg.
3) Whisk together dry ingredients.
4)Mix together.
5)Fry on griddle or skillet.
6)Serve with butter and real maple syrup.

Today is: The Feast of St. Francis Xavier Cabrini
Finn is: 4 months old tomorrow!
Mama is reading: Vile Bodies by Evelyn Waugh

No comments:

Post a Comment