Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Introduction

When I walked across the commencement stage in May 2010 after receiving my diploma from Hillsdale College, I had my obligatory fifteen second photo-op posing with Larry P. Arnn, the college president.  As we smiled and shook hands, he said to me out of the corner of his mouth, "Summa Cum Laude.  What are you going to do with that?" 
"Be a mom," I said with a big grin and left him standing on the stage .

October 2, 2011

Although I was engaged at the time, I had little idea how soon I would achieve my "goal."  Just five months later, I embarked on the greatest adventure of my life:starting a family.  Of course, I thought it would be a family of two (me and my husband) for at least a little while.  By the time the next class at Hillsdale graduated, however, I was seven months pregnant.  That's right, my baby arrived nine months and twelve days after my wedding day.
Finnian Michael and his mama


So at 22, armed only with a bachelor's degree and a supportive family, I decided to become a stay-at-home mom. 

I've decided to start this blog not because I suddenly find myself with boatloads of time on my hands (other moms, you can verify this), but because I am starting an important adventure and I want to document -for myself, my family, and my friends- what I learn along the way.  I am hoping that the journey of motherhood becomes a pilgrimage, because, after all, what else am I here for but to find the way, for myself and my family, back home?

Today is: the feast of St. Wenceslaus
Finn is: 10 weeks and 6 days old
Mama is reading: Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh (again)

5 comments:

  1. This is great, Megan! I love seeing pictures of your new family. I actually have a gift for you guys, if you want to send me your address.

    Blessings,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Another bloggy mommy! You'll probably keep up with your blog more than I do mine, but I look forward to reading this journey of yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay Megan! I could always use photos of Finn. And you. And JF.

    And I cannot wait to read about your adventures.

    ~Therese

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so happy you guys are reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Megan! I just found this. Thanks so much for writing.

    I've been squeamish about admitting to people what I REALLY plan to do. (I mean...isn't it awkward enough that I got married in college, without talking about kids??) Usually I make vague remarks about teaching or editing. These remarks are false. Utterly and completely false. After dropping the honors program this semester, I've decided I in fact have nothing to hide and should just be honest.So now, I just say it. I want to have babies, I want to help those babies grow up into men and women that love Christ and their neighbor, and who recognize the deep and abiding excellence of eternal things.

    Thanks for your post, and I look forward to reading!

    ReplyDelete